Tuesday, April 14, 2009

A Word Once Said

Well, hockey season is over (what I mean by that is that the Stars did not make the playoffs, and no other team matters), and the hot weather is on it's way. Bummer.

Atleast Dave Matthews and Company are turning out some new tunes, and all indications point to more music of very high quality from our beloved musicians. But who expected anything else. The album seems to be a tribute to the bands late saxaphone player. I think his passing may have inspired the band to play more to the style that the band members appreciate, which will make for a much better experience than creating for pop culture, or whatever.

On to other thoughts. My sister-in-law Kareah is going to have another baby in another month or two, and so the family Easter party this year had dual purpose. It was an Easter party as well as a makeshift baby shower. More of an opportunity to give gifts than a shower. So, she begins to open the presents, of which one is something called a "bumbo seat" I think. It is a fun little seat of sorts for babies. As she opens this a member of the family calls to her husband saying "Hey! it's one of those seats like we had for our baby!", to which the husband replies (from across the room) "Yeah, that one we threw away because it kills babies." (Apparently some child had been left in one of these seats up on top of a counter, AND unattended and bumboed their way right off the counter and kissed the floor. It was stated shortly after that the baby may not have died, but just been injured, and it is important to note the improper use and negligence were involved). I immediately wondered why he would say this, seeing that it was a gift someone had given to Kareah. Depending on who's gift it was, their feelings may have been hurt. I don't know. I know that he was only trying to be funny, but things can be taken the wrong way.

Then this morning I received an e-mail that was titled something like "things you can't get back"
Some of these things were:
1. A stone once thrown
2. A word once said

Not rocket science, but good thoughts none the less. I began to think about times I said or did something that was hurtful. Sometimes you know the instant you do it, and sometimes it's more like hindsight, but it always hurts to think about.

It can take so much time to show a person how much they mean to you, and so little time to destroy that which you have built. I hate that it is like this, but in most relationships it is. Numerous relationships end, or are permanently damaged or stunted because of an errant stone or word. Sometimes, no amount of damage control will fix it. Like it says, you can't get that word/stone back, only ask for forgiveness, but it was still said/thrown.

Sometimes you get the chance to ask for forgiveness, and sometimes you don't.......

Wish I could ask for forgiveness from those that I have hurt.

P.S. I hear tell that there is someone who exists that loves enough to erase the hurtful words you have said to him, and completely forget the stones that you have thrown at him, allowing for a loving relationship no matter the pain you have caused him and others. All you've got to do is believe in him and ask for forgiveness. Amazing..... They call him Jesus.

3 comments:

Darrell Barnes said...

Bro, this is incredible stuff. There are times in my life where I can say that I've been a complete ass, when it comes to saying hurtful things. Though my intentions are for laughter, there is someone that is not necessarily laughing along with me. As Ephesians 5:4 says: "Let there be r no filthiness nor foolish talk nor crude joking, s which are out of place, but instead t let there be thanksgiving," we should be lifting each other up in love, instead of tearing down with words of hate.

It's funny that you mention this now, because this is the exact thing that I've been trying to deal with for the past week. I was recently approached by a good friend about this verse, and I have been trying to observe my own actions throughout the day to make sure that I am not trying to bring anybody down.

P.S. The Dave Matthews Band is the greatest band of all time. Hands down.

Anonymous said...

Great post. The worst for me is when I slip up and accidentally say something hurtful to the kids. It happened the other day and Chloe told me (in her amazing 6-yr old wisdom) "Mom, when you say something, it NEVER goes away." And she's exactly right. I hope I'll keep that in mind a lot better in the future.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.