Saturday, March 20, 2010

The Vortex and the Enigma

These are some thoughts posted recently by a friend of mine. Very valid struggles for many of us, myself included. Rather than rewrite my thoughts on it I just posted the comment I left her. It's a good summary of some things I've been working through. I should also note that this is not her entire post, just the part that VERY closely summarizes my own struggles.

Funny....I very often feel that things that seem so complex have such basic answers. I wonder if that is just a biproduct of answers seeming less elusive once they are attained.

Here's part of her post:

The last couple of weeks have been full of me quitting things I’d committed to; I’m not sure how to feel about it, because I think that life will be less hectic now and I will have more time to study, clean, and cook which are the things I was looking forward to when I originally quit my job to go back to school. The problem I’m finding is that I’m very lazy. I am not using my time wisely, and I can’t decide on one thing to do during the day that is productive without worrying about all the other things that need to be done, too. Instead of picking one thing and getting it out of the way, I chose to sit around and do nothing most of the day.

I think this recent turn of events parallels my life as a whole pretty clearly. I cannot decide what I want to do for a career to save my life; I don’t think words could explain how envious I am of people who are passionate about one thing and one thing only and go after it. I’m constantly deciding on a different career path; I get really excited about it for about six months and then I start to doubt my decision. My worry is that in following one thing I am passionate about, I will miss out on something really good by not following a different thing.

I love working with kids, and I am really good at it. I could be a teacher and be completely happy, and I could work in recreational programs, too, and be completely happy. I’ve also considered doing social work or counseling but I’m worried I won’t be able to leave work at work. I would have a hard time letting go of my need to save everyone. I am also good at marketing and sales, I’m business-minded, and I’ve been told I’d make a really good manager but I am not really passionate about marketing and sales. I have considered opening my own business, but I hate the idea of being tied down somewhere in case an opportunity comes up somewhere else. I’m obviously passionate about music, but it’s not something I see myself doing as a career. I sometimes think life would be easier if my choices were limited; if my dad expected me to take over the family business or something. Then I would hate my life and wish I had more choices.

And the part of my comment that was relevant to it:

Mostly I want to comment on your thoughts in your post War of my Life. I imagine that by now you have heard enough from multiple people that relate, but I'll suit up and show up. I've just recently received some temporary relief from the whole don't know what to do, passions don't match options, want to keep options open, feel like I'm being lazy and choosing nothing instead of something vortex leading to a feeling that was an enigma. I have struggled with it for a LONG time now, and it is very tiresome to think about anymore.

The thing that finally helped me was that I simply got a job that provided structure. Since I've had that job, it's been easier to define and compartmentalize my options. Important to note that I'm not passionate about the job, but I do like the people there very much and they make it worthwhile to show up. So with most of my time now swallowed by "the man" it is easier to compartmentalize the other aspects of my life and be productive. It makes me think sometimes that problems are not always as insurmountable as they seem. Atleast for me. I feel like the root of my feelings and your feelings is likely very different though, and as such likely have a different solution. Also important to note that it would not take much for that vortex to grab me again.

All that to say, in reference to those feelings, I think a pretty large part of mine came from selfishness and laziness. It's not as horrible as it sounds, but I just got to the point that I had to get over the fact that I wanted certain things my way or no way. I'm choosing now to work with what is infront of me and progress towards my passions as much as possible. Eventually my life will look more like I want it to. We are still very young, even though we may not think we are. Also, I'm more mindful these days of our basic belief that our ultimate goals and desires are not to be satisfied in this life. That doesn't mean I can't pursue happiness here, but that it is not my main goal. So if I don't quite attain some of the things that I tell myself I want right now maybe that isn't so bad. I mean, my goals, desires, and contentedness should not be so centered around this life anyways. Not to say that anyone should give up on desires, God gave us those. Just to say that for me personally, it seems like a large amount of my discontent can be solved if I step outside of my selfish perversions of my God given desires and live life as well as I can in the moment, working as best I can towards eternity. And if God really wants me to be somewhere doing something, and I'm truly pursuing his heart for my life, I won't miss the opportunity he has for me. We have to believe that.

So I'm trying to take what is infront of me, enjoy God's provision, and realize that my heart is not going to be completely satisfied here anyways.

I hope this gives you something to think about, whether it helps or not. Geez this turned out to be more of a post than a comment. I think I'll put it on my blog. I may reference some of your writing there to.

No comments: